The annular solar eclipse is a rare event that occurs once every one or two years, depending on the specific alignment of the Earth, Moon, and Sun. According to NASA, North America will experience an annular solar eclipse on October 14, 2023.
If you’re excited about this year’s annular solar eclipse, keep reading; this article will provide you with all the information you need to prepare for it. Let’s jump right in!
What Is An Annular Solar Eclipse?
An annular solar eclipse is one of those rare events that occurs when the Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun, temporarily blocking the Sun’s rays and casting a shadow on the Earth. This results in the darkening of the sky during the daytime. While there are various types of solar eclipses, the majority are partial, in which the Moon obstructs only a portion of the Sun’s face.
However, the annular solar eclipse is distinctive because, in some regions, it becomes total, with the Moon covering most of the Sun’s face. The uniqueness of an annular solar eclipse lies in the way it unfolds. It is characterized by the Moon’s position in its elliptical orbit, which isn’t a perfect circle.
During an annular eclipse, the Moon is farther from the Earth than usual, causing it to appear slightly smaller in the sky. As a result, it covers approximately 90% of the Sun’s disk, leaving about 10% of the Sun’s surface still visible. This creates the striking “ring of fire” effect, where the remaining Sun forms a brilliant ring around the Moon.
When Will This Year’s Annular Solar Eclipse Happen?
This year’s annular solar eclipse is set to occur on October 14, 2023, beginning at approximately 11:30 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) or 8:30 a.m. Pacific Time (PT). If you plan to watch, you must be ready by 11:30 a.m. since it will happen a few minutes later.
Which Places Will See The Annular Solar Eclipse?
The upcoming annular solar eclipse will be visible in North America, Central America, and South America, depending on the weather that day. In the United States, the eclipse will be visible in the following states: Oregon, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and Texas. Additionally, some parts of California, Idaho, Colorado, and Arizona may experience the eclipse to varying degrees.
The annular eclipse’s path will extend beyond the United States into Central America, passing over countries such as Mexico, Belize, Honduras, and Panama.
How To Watch The Annular Solar Eclipse
For those fortunate to be in one of the eclipse-visibility regions, watching the event safely is crucial. You should use certified ISO 12312-2 international standard eclipse glasses to do so. These specialized glasses are designed to protect your eyes from the Sun’s harmful rays during an eclipse.
If you plan to view the eclipse through a telescope or binoculars. In that case, you should also use eyewear that meets the ISO 12312-2 transmission requirements. It is also essential to ensure your children do not watch the eclipse with their bare eyes since most are unaware of the harm this creates.
However, suppose you’re in an area where you can’t directly witness the eclipse or lack the necessary equipment. In that case, you can still enjoy the event online. Numerous organizations, including NASA, provide live streams of solar eclipses. Here is NASA’s YouTube livestream link for the annular solar eclipse event you should follow if you want to watch it live.
As mentioned earlier, the coverage of this event will start at 11:30 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) or 8:30 a.m. Pacific Time (PT). We hope you will enjoy it!