In this section, we will look at the similarities and differences of A+D and Desitin to help you make an informed purchase decision:
Similarities of A&D and Desitin
- Both A+D and Desitin are used to prevent and treat diaper rash
- They are applied directly on the affected area
- They both form a protective barrier on the baby’s skin to seal out wetness
- They can also be used to treat other skin conditions and moisturize dry skin
- Both have a strong scent
- Free of parabens, phthalates and dyes
Differences between A& D and Desitin
- A&D has Petroleum jelly as the main ingredient while Zinc Oxide is the active ingredient in Desitin
- A&D is available in the form of an ointment, whereas Desitin is a cream
- A&D is cheaper than Desitin, which costs 12 dollars, while A+D costs around $10 on amazon. Note that the price depends on the store you purchase from.
Review of A&D
A+D diaper rash ointment contains Lanolin and petrolatum as the main ingredients. They also use cod liver oil as an ingredient that serves as the source of vitamin A and D in the ointment.
The blend of the ingredients forms a protective barrier on the baby’s skin, protecting them from wetness and preventing and treating diaper rash. The ointment heals the baby by soothing burns and cuts and keeps the skin dry to avoid further irritation.
What’s more, it is mild and calm because it is free of dyes, parabens and phthalates and therefore you can use after every diaper change. The ointment does not only protect and heal diaper rash but can also be used as a moisturizer for babies with dry skin.
A+D is available in several varieties including, A+D Original Diaper Rash Ointment, A+D Zinc Oxide Diaper Rash Treatment Cream and A+D First Aid Ointment.
Features of A&D
- Ingredients: Lanolin 15.5%, Petrolatum 53.4%
- Free Of: Dyes, Parabens & Phthalates
- Directions: Apply a thick ointment on the affected areas before putting a new diaper. Make sure to clean and dry the baby before application.
- Available Sizes: 16oz pound jar or 1.5oz, 4oz, 4oz tubes
- Where to Buy: Amazon or in-Stores near you
- It is thick; therefore, it stays on the baby’s skin for a long which makes it very effective.
- It dries and heals the affected area of the baby’s skin very fast
- It is easy to apply, and a small amount goes a long way
- It is affordable
A& D cons
- It has a very strong scent
- Because of its thickness, it takes time to wash off from your fingers
- If it does not work for your baby’s skin, it might end up making the rash worse
Review of Desitin
Desitin is a well-known and reputable brand which makes the Desitin diaper rash cream a go-to choice for many parents. The cream has proven to be very effective in treating and soothing diaper rash.
The active ingredient zinc oxide forms a protective barrier on the baby’s skins preventing contact with urine and faces enzymes that cause burns and rushes. The cream acts very fast on the diapers; it reduces the rashes 12 hours after application. In addition, to treating the rashes, the cream is a perfect moisturizer.
What’s more, it is gentle on the skin because it does not contain harmful chemicals like parabens, phthalates, dyes, and fragrances.
Desitin comes in two options; Daily Defense cream suitable for mild diapers rash, and Max Strength designed for stubborn and severe diaper rash.
- Ingredients: 13% zinc oxide as the active ingredient
- Free Of: Dyes, Parabens & Phthalates
- Directions: Apply a generous amount to the affected area
- Available Sizes: 16oz jars or 2oz, 4oz, 4.8oz tube
- Where to Buy: Amazon or physical stores near you
- Acts on the rashes and burns with 12 hours after application
- The cream is easy to apply and wipes off from the baby’s skin and your hands easily
- It stays on the baby skin for a long because it is very thick
- You can also use it to treat dry skin or other skin condition
- Very strong smell
- Expensive if used for daily application
Tips on Dealing with Diaper rash
- To eliminate the possibilities of diaper rash, ensure that your baby does not stay in wet or soiled diapers for long. To help you with this, purchase diapers with a wetness indicator, which changes color when the diaper is full alerting you to change the baby.
- After diaper changes, make sure to dry the babies bum dry before the next diaper. It is advisable to keep the baby free for about 15 minutes before putting on a new diaper, but if this is not possible, sprinkle baby powder on them for extra dryness.
- If your baby has already developed a diaper rash, apply reputable diaper rash cream like A&D or Desitin before the next diaper.
- Diaper rash is the first discomfort they experience in their new world for most babies. It will pain you to watch your baby in pain, and some parents end up blaming themselves.
- To help with the healing process, use soft towels to wipe the baby instead of wet wipes because the ingredients in baby wipes and specially scented wet wipes irritate the baby skin further. What’s more, ensure to wipe dry the baby’s bum before applying the cream.
See also Diapers that Change Color when Wet
FAQ on A&D vs Desitin
Can You Mix Desitin and A&D?
You can use Desitin and A&D on varying layers but not mixed. The thick layer offers better protections against wetness and allows you to wipe off the baby without wiping out the treatment and without further irritating the skin.
Is A& D Good for Diaper Rash?
A&D is safe and effective for diaper rash, and it can be used after every change. The ointment is easy to apply and is gentle on the baby’s skin because it does not contain dyes, parabens or Phthalates. It forms a protective layer to keep away wetness from the baby’s skin.
What is Stronger than Desitin?
Boudreaux is stronger than Desitin. Both brands contain zinc oxide as the main ingredient but, Boudreaux has 16% Zinc which is more than the 13% included in Desitin. Both creams are effective in what they do, but Boudreaux works faster.
Both A&D and Desitin are effective diaper rash creams; however, they react different on babies, and you might find that what worked for your niece does not work for your baby. Therefore, choosing the best diaper rash cream and ointment depends on which one works for your little one.
However, as already stated, diaper rash can happen irrespective of how keen you have been with diaper changes and even after purchasing the most expensive diapers on the market.
Therefore, instead of worrying and beating yourself up, apply diaper creams on the affected areas. The active ingredients in diaper creams soothe and heal the baby in no time.
See also Can Adults Use Desitin