Diaper rash is among the things no one tells you about parenting until one day, your baby’s diaper area is red and inflamed.
Diaper rash is a skin condition on the baby’s diaper area triggered by bacteria that grow in moist spaces, irritants in pee and poop, allergic reactions to diaper ingredients, and friction between diapers and the skin during movement.
You should change your wet and dirty baby diapers promptly to prevent diaper rash. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and this is where diaper rash creams come in.
Diaper rash creams form a layer between the skin and the diaper. The barrier prevents blowup diaper rash and facilitates the healing of damaged skin.
This article will compare two popular and effective diaper rash creams, Balmex and Desitin.
Balmex Complete Protection
Balmex Complete Protection is formulated to heal the irritation caused by diaper rash. It is clinically proven to reduce diaper rash redness within three hours of application.
The cream forms a moisture barrier between the moist diaper and the skin to prevent irritation.
Balmex contains 11% zinc oxide as the active ingredient, an effective moisture barrier. It also contains evening primrose extract, a botanical extract that neutralizes enzymes in pee and stool that cause skin irritation.
Moreover, Balmex diaper rash cream is hypoallergenic as its ingredients are free of parabens, dye, and fragrances.
Balmex is also very creamy, making it easy to apply and wipe off. It comes in different sizes, including tubes that can fit in your diaper bag.
- Items from: Cream
- Ideal for moderate diaper rash.
- Active ingredient: 11% Zinc Oxide + evening primrose extract
- Inactive ingredients: beeswax, mineral oil, and microcrystalline wax
- Packaging and sizes: 15 OZ jar, 2 OZ, 4 OZ, and 16 OZ tube
- It contains Zinc Oxide that soothes and heals the skin
- Has botanicals extracts that neutralize irritants from pee and poo
- It is creamy and thus easy to apply and remove
- Clinically proven to reduce redness in just 3 hours
- Balmex has 50 years of experience in skincare
- Packaged in tubes that can be carried in a diaper bag
- Not suitable for babies allergic to botanical extracts
Desitin diaper rash cream has been on the market for over 40 years and is a top paediatrician recommendation. It comes in two varieties, Destin Daily Defense and Maximum Strength Original Paste.
Desitin diaper rash cream contains Zinc oxide as the main ingredient. Destin Daily Defense contains 13% Zinc Oxide, while Maximum Strength Original Paste contains 40% Zinc Oxide.
Maximum Strength Original Paste at 40% contains the highest concentration of zinc oxide among diaper creams. This makes it ideal for severe diaper rash cases. On the downside, it contains fragrance.
On the other hand, Destin Daily Defense with 13% Zinc Oxide is ideal for diaper rash prevention and heals mild diaper rash.
Both versions of Desitin are paraben, phthalate, and dye-free, thus ideal for babies with sensitive skin.
Desitin is packaged in jars and tubes of different sizes. It comes in 16 OZ jars that will last you long and portable 4 OZ tubes. It is also an affordable brand catering to parents operating on a budget.
On the downside, Desitin diaper rash cream is thick and stickier than other creams, making it challenging to apply and wipe off.
- Item form: Cream
- Ideal for: Destin Daily Defense is ideal for prevention and mild to moderate treatment; Maximum Strength Original Paste is ideal for susceptible skin and severe diaper rash treatment
- Active ingredient: Destin Daily Defense 13%; Maximum Strength Original Paste 40%
- Inactive ingredients: Petrolatum, Cod Liver Oil, Lanolin, Glycerin, Beeswax, Sorbian Sesquioleate
- Packaging and size: 16 oz. Jar and 2oz, 4oz, and 4.8oz tubes.
- Hypoallergenic hence safe for sensitive skin
- Available in lots of sizes
- It comes in several varieties: Destin Daily Defense, and Maximum Strength Original Paste
- Maximum Strength Original Paste contains the highest concentration of zinc oxide hence more effective
- It can be used for preventive (Destin Daily Defense) and treatment (Maximum Strength Original Paste) purposes.
- Maximum Strength Original Paste contains fragrance
- Sticky and thick making it hard to apply
Balmex vs. Desitin Comparison
Here are the similarities and differences between Balmex and Desitin.
Both Balmex and Desitin:
- Contain Zinc Oxide as the active ingredient
- Are creams
- Are paraben, phthalate, and dye-free
- Are recommended by paediatricians and have been on the market for long
- It comes in many sizes
- Have portable sizes that can fit in diaper bags
- It can be used to prevent and treat diaper rash
- Are available countrywide in physical and online stores
|Variety||Does not have varieties||It does not have varieties|
|Zinc Oxide Percentage||11%||Destin Daily Defense- 13%Maximum Strength Original Paste- 40%|
|Special Ingredient||It does not contain a special ingredient||It comes in several varieties: Destin Daily Defense, and Maximum Strength Original Paste|
|Efficacy||Clinically proven to reduce redness in just 3 hours||Clinically proven to reduce redness in 12 hours|
|Price||Expensive than Desitin per ounce||Cheaper per ounce|
|Texture||Creamy and smooth||Thick and sticky|
|Application||Easy to apply and wipe off||Difficult to apply and wipe off|
|Fragrance||Evening primrose oil- a botanical extract||Maximum Strength Original Paste contains fragrance|
Balmex and Desitin are similar in that they contain Zinc Oxide as the main ingredient, which forms a moisture barrier between the baby’s delicate skin and the wet diaper.
The major difference is that Balmex contains evening primrose oil, a botanical extract that neutralizes the irritating enzymes in poo and pee.
Desitin is stickier and thicker than Balmex, thus harder to apply and wipe out. Additionally, Desitin Maximum Strength Original Paste has fragrance; hence it has a more pungent scent than Balmex.
The choice between Desitin and Balmex depends on the severity of the rash, budget, and preference for scent, texture, consistency, and brand.
Desitin is the best choice for severe diaper rash, while Balmex is suitable for mild and moderate rash.