First-time parents or parents who are using the SwaddleMe for the first time cannot help but wonder why the swaddles have a hole or slit in the back. If you have not yet figured out the hole’s purpose, you have clicked the right article.
The hole in the back of swaddle blankets is meant to help swaddle the baby in a swing or bouncer. Put your swaddle in the swing, pull the straps of the swing through the hole, place the baby in the SwaddleMe, swaddle them and then fasten the straps. With this feature, you can entertain the baby in the swing while keeping them warm.
Swaddling is a practice that involves wrapping babies from the neck to the toes using light and breathable blankets. Most babies love to be swaddled because it gives them the comfort of the womb. So the hole was incorporated so that you can swaddle them while on the car seat, swing and bouncer.
How to Buckle Baby in Swing While Swaddled
If your baby sleeps better in the swing, you can swaddle her and let them enjoy swing swaddles. To buckle her on the swing, adjust the swing straps as far as they can go, pass them through the hole in the back of the swaddle and strap them.
Also, you can decide not to buckle the baby on the swing because they are not moving yet. If you leave them unstrapped, remember to set the swing at the lowest.
Are Car Seat Swaddle Blankets Safe?
No, and Yes.
It is recommended that babies should never be swaddled before strapping them in their car seats. Once the baby is wrapped, the car seat straps become ineffective because there are no shoulders or arms to strap on. In case of an accident, the baby will be quickly ejected from their seat because they are not restrained.
On the other hand, your baby can still enjoy the swaddle in the car seat after they have been buckled. To achieve this, buckle up the baby in their car seat and ensure that there are no thick clothes under the straps. Cover the baby with the swaddle blanket while keeping their hands down and tuck in the blankets on the sides. This way, your baby will be safely bucked and snuggled at the same time.
See also Why baby hates halo bassinest
How to Use the SwaddleMe Blanket
A SwaddleMe blanket is designed with features that make swaddling easy and gives the baby a womb-like experience. The blankets have wings and a Velcro attachment that helps secure the baby from both sides. With the correct sizing, the blanket holds the baby tight on the upper body while allowing enough space on the hips and leg areas for movement.
The features of this blanket are designed to make swaddling easy for both first-time and experienced users. If you are doing this for the first time, follow the simple steps below to swaddle your baby safely:
- Place the SwaddleMe blanket on a flat surface like a bed. Spread out the wings on both sides and then flatten the blanket.
- Put your baby on the blanket, ensuring that the shoulders align with the top part of the blanket.
- Place the baby’s feet inside the pouch and ensure that they fit perfectly
- Spread your baby’s arms on the right and left and secure them inside the wings of the SwaddleMe blanket. At this stage, use the Velcro loops to tighten the grip on the limps.
- Wrap the left-wing to the opposite and tuck it under the arms. Use the right-wing to secure the other side. Ensure to use the Velcro loops to tighten the grip.
- Check to ensure that the wrap fits on the chest and adjust if need be. It should not be too tight or too loose. The idea is to give the baby a snuggly feeling as they would get from the womb.
Precautions When Using the Swaddleme Blanket
The swaddle blanket is easy to use following the simple steps above. However, there are some precautions you should take when using the SwaddleMe blanket to ensure that the baby is safe.
Below are some dos and don’ts you should understand before using the SwaddleMe blanket:
- A swaddled baby should be put to sleep on their back to prevent SIDS
- Use a blanket with the appropriate thickness to prevent your baby from overheating or feeling too cold. The correct thickness depends on the climate and room temperature.
- If your baby becomes restless after swaddling, try leaving an arm outside. If it does not get back, try another swaddling technique.
- Remove loose clothing and other objects from the bassinet or crib to keep the baby safe from suffocation and SIDS.
- Some babies do not like swaddling and will resist it with all their being. If your baby does not like swaddling, it might be because they are not the type to be wrapped, or you are using the wrong technique on them. Therefore, observe your baby and work with what works for them.
What Should a Baby Wear Under a SwaddleMe?
A swaddle me blanket is enough for the baby to sleep in, but some parents prefer that the baby wear something underneath. The choice of clothing under the swaddle depends on the temperatures outside.
For instance, light onesies are enough during summer and warm months so that the baby does not overheat. On the other hand, you will need to layer the baby more during the winter. What’s more irrespective of the time of the year, a swaddled baby should not wear anything on the head or face.
When To Stop Swaddleme Blanket
Swaddling helps babies transition from the womb to the new environment, but they outgrow it quickly. You should stop swaddling your babies as soon as they start rolling over independently. If a swaddled baby rolls over on their tummy, they will not be able to roll over back to the back because they are tied. This could lead to suffocation and death.
Also, wrapping up older babies hinders free movement, leading to delayed motor skills.
The right time to stop swaddling depends on the development of your baby. While some babies become active and start to roll over at two months, others take up to 4 months. Therefore, let your baby guide you.
What To Use After Swaddlme Blanket
Once your baby outgrows being swaddled, it is time to transition them into pajamas. Depending on your area’s climate and your preference, they can sleep in footed pajamas, two-piece pajamas, or a onesie.
Whatever sleeping wear you choose, have it at the back of your mind that babies overheat easily, making them irritable and increasing the possibilities of SIDS.
Therefore, it is safer for the baby to sleep in cool than warm clothes. If you feel like your baby needs extra warmth, invest in sleep sacks, especially sleeveless ones.
Lastly, the transition from swaddling to pajamas should be done immediately. Keeping active and rolling over babies in swaddles puts them at the risk of SIDS and suffocation.
FAQ on Swaddle Hole in Back
Swaddle Me Instructions Hole in Back
The hole in the back of SwaddleMe blankets is supposed to help you swaddle the baby in a swing. However, you should never put a swaddled baby in a car seat.
Can You Put a Baby in a Car Seat with a Sleep Sack?
Yes, you can safely put a baby with a lightweight sleep sack in a car seat. For the effectiveness of car seats, ensure no heavy clothing or objects between the baby and the car seat straps.
Can You use SwaddleMe in a Car Seat?
SwaddleMe blankets have a hole in the back, meaning they are designed to be used with a car seat. For effectiveness, put the swaddle in the car seat, pass the crotch straps through the hole/slit, put the baby in the car seat, buckle them up, and lastly, swaddle the baby the fastened baby.
SwaddleMe blankets have a feature whose purpose is not clear to many, and that is a hole in the back. It is to help you swaddle the baby on the swing or bouncer. SwaddleMe blankets are 100% cotton to offer your baby maximum comfort and have features like wings that make swaddling easy.
Want to make moves toward financial freedom?
Subscribe to our email newsletter and you’ll receive actional steps and insights on:
- How to have an investor mindset
- How to build wealth for your family
- How to educate your kids on financial literacy
- How to become a real estate investor
We’ll even offer you VIP prices for the ebook series and online courses.